Weekend Top 5 Events
It is the final weekend of August, and The Ryan King Team is here to give you the breakdown on a few Chattanooga events that are sure to fill your weekend with good times!
KP and the Boom Boom will be the final Nightfall headlining band of the season. Friday night’s concert wraps up the 30th season of shows from Chattanooga Presents at Miller Plaza. KP and the Boom Boom bring “high-energy performances, as well as a mixture of R&B, funk, jazz, hip-hop” and more. Chattanooga locals Sistren will open the show at 7 p.m. The trio features locals Laura Walker, Lori Mast and Kathy Veazey. The headliner starts at 8 p.m. Admission is free.
- Date & Time: August 25th @ 7pm
- Location: 805 Market Street
- Price: Free
Southern Brewers Festival
The 23rd annual Southern Brewers Festival returns to the Riverfront Saturday. Organizers decided to rethink the feel of the festival this year: The VIP area will be omitted at this year’s event, and all tickets will be general admission, instead of having several price levels and packages available. More than 30 breweries are expected to attend the event and offer a total of at least 100 brews. Headlining the festival will be The Magpie Salute, a collective of many former members of The Black Crowes. Knoxville folk-rock outfit Cereus Bright will be there; Hank & Cupcakes and Rainbow Kitten Surprise will also perform. All proceeds will benefit the CraftWorks Foundation and Chattanooga Kids on the Block.
- Date & Time: August 26th @ 2pm to 10pm
- Location: 190 Chestnut Street
- Price: $20 – $25 (plus beer tokens)
River Gorge Criterium
Village Volkswagen of Chattanooga presents the annual River Gorge Omnium cycling races and 5K this weekend. Spectators can enjoy exciting cycling races Saturday afternoon and evening in the heart of downtown Chattanooga. Market and Broad streets from Martin Luther King Boulevard to 10th Street will be closed Saturday for the event. Food and beverage vendors will be on-site. Racing begins at 12:15 p.m. and ends with the main race at 8:30 p.m. All races will be livestreamed here.
Date & Time: August 26th @ 12:15pm to 9:30pm
- Location: Click here
- Price: Free
- The Psychedelic Ball
- The Walden Club is shaking off the suit, putting on a tie-dyed shirt and letting its hair down for an intimate dance event called The Psychedelic Ball Saturday night at 8. A “music-infused” evening, the ball will offer three live bands, several cash bars and more in one of Chattanooga’s most scenic settings. Performers include Danimal Planet, The Fridge and The Bridge Burners Club. The party continues until 1 a.m. Click here for more information. Dress code is casual, but please keep it classy.
- Date & Time: August 26th @ 8pm
- Location: 633 Chestnut Street
- Price: $10 – $12
- South Bound: Distinguished Lectures, “Fire Is Your Water”
- Southern Lit Alliance welcomes writer Jim Minick to Chattanooga for a reading and discussion of his book “Fire Is Your Water.” Fred Chappell said the book is “a most remarkable story of devotion, trust, healing and misfortune.” Minick’s first novel, the book is built on magical realism and social observation—providing an insider’s glimpse into the culture of Appalachia. The reading will take place from 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday at the Southern Lit Alliance offices on East 11th Street in The Arts Building. Guests can attend the reading for $10 or purchase the “buy the book” package for $22, which includes a signed copy of the book. Tickets are available here.
- Date & Time: August 27th @ 2pm
- Location: 301 E. 11th Street
- Price: $10 and up